Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bath



Bath (Part Two but posted first. I like to be contrary. In Part One I will discuss Bath’s main attractions.)
 
You might well wonder if I’m not referring to personal hygiene. No. Nor am I referring to the giant porcelain tub in your home. This is not about home renovations or installing fixtures. I am referring to the beautiful city found on the southwest coast of England.

Bath, located in Somerset County, is rich with history and culture. The city is best known for the Roman Baths located on the main drag and while the baths, the museum and Bath Abbey are definitely must sees if you are visiting this area, today I would like to speak a little about the shops and interesting finds you can discover here.

One of my favorite little hole-in-the wall finds (that happens to be part of a VERY small but successful chain) is called Ben’s Cookies. They are located on a side street and have the most mouthwatering, delicious cookies I’ve ever had. They differ from the average cookie due to the almost cake like texture. I’ve never had anything like it, and miss these cookies greatly. Truly amazing.

 Another gem is a beautiful tearoom called Hands of Bath.  They have an absolutely lovely cream tea (tea served with a scone, clotted cream, and strawberry preserves). It isn’t fussy or particularly grand, but you are sure have a relaxing rest from touring the city.

Now, don’t forget to scope out the live statues situated around the baths. They somehow manage to paint and clothe themselves in colors almost exactly matching the bath limestone used in the buildings.  Some are quite serious and others like to play with the tourists. They tend to be one of those unique little quirks that are fun to find in a new city.

Also, if you are a Jane Austen fan like myself, it’s fun to just wander around the central area down pokey little streets and alleys. The whole area, despite being filled with modern shops such as House of Fraser, Lush, and Monsoon, retains its aura of Regency glory. Many of her books had scenes based in this wonderful city. It is often used in Austen films considering, I imagine, that it’s rather difficult to reproduce. I still maintain that one of the streets near the baths was featured in a pivotal scene in Persuasion where Anne grabs Captain Wentworth before he leaves. It was exciting to see and yes, I’m an Austen geek. Somewhere I have a photo of that street!

Wandering can be the best way to discover your own finds. You may be attracted to some other little shop or the Postal Museum, or a graffiti covered wall like a coworker of mine. One of my favorites was an AWESOME Oxfam (like Goodwill) bookstore right as you are walking toward all the shops.  I found some hard to find books there! It’s all about your interest and what you like. Go explore.

 -S.



No comments:

Post a Comment